Food Historian Seren Hollins re-creates a wartime favourite, Mock Salmon. One she confesses is not entirely authentic and she adds half a teaspoon of smaoked paprika to the mix just to ‘pep-it-up’
- ¼lb fresh tomatoes, skinned
- ½oz butter (plus and extra knob – rations allowing)
- 2oz breadcrumbs
- 2oz grated cheesse
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of smoked paprika
- Blanch and skin the tomatoes and simmer in the butter until tender, then remove from the heat.
- Add the grated cheese and breadcrumbs, then stir in the egg and seasoning.
- Return to a low heat and stir until the mixture thickens, then put into a dish and cover with a knob of melted butter.
- Serve with hot toast.